YA Review: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


book swap

Synopsis from Goodreads
BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She's angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she's about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights' most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break. 

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn't want--and couldn't escape.
Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine's diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There's comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal's antique pages--until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine's words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.
Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel "A Northern Light," artfully weaves two girls' stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. "Revolution" spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart. "From the Hardcover edition."


Amazon  US/UK(£4.19) | Amazon kindle US | The Book Depository US/UK | Fishpond(£4.87) | BooksonBoard

9.5/10

* * *
 This book made me cry, that's how good it was. 

 “I will go out again this very night with my rockets and fuses. I will blow them straight out of their comfortable beds. Blow the rooftops off their houses. Blow the black, wretched night to bits. I will not stop. For mad I may be, but I will never be convenient.” 

 This is very much a book about human nature, our pain, our love, our ability to sacrifice ourselves for the idea, for hope and for those you love.



Two girls. One is stuck in present world, suffering from depression and wanting to commit suicide because she blames herself for the death of her younger brother.

Another is a little actress secretly blowing up the fireworks in revolutionary Paris so the little prince locked in the tower can see them and smile. She is The Green Man and Robespierre wants her head.

Andi's life and Alexandrine's bare existence are interconnected in mysterious ways. Both are artists, one is a musician, another is a street performer, both feel too deeply and too strong for their own good.

One speaks up in the present, another reaches to her through her diary hidden in a guitar.

There is no point in describing the plot and the synopsis doesn't do it justice at all. I only kick myself that I haven't read this book sooner. Undoubtedly this is one of the best, most heartfelt novels I've read this year and I'll be chasing down the rest of Jennifer Donnelly's books. A must read.

* * *
Просто великолепная книга! Я прямо расплакалась под конец. Как-то совершенно эпично описаны обе героини, и Энди в Париже настоящего времени и Александрина в революционном Париже.

Обе- артистки, обе чувствуют вину, любовь и боль очень глубоко. Однако первая находится в глубокой депрессии и пытается покончить жизнь самоубийством, а вторая под личиной Зелёного Человека запускает фейерверки в Робеспьеровском Париже, чтобы маленький безумный принц, заточённый в башне, принц, которого она не смогла спасти, хоть однажды но улыбнулся.

Их жизни необъяснимо переплетаются когда Энди находит дневник Алекс в старой гитаре, которую обнаружили в катакомбах. Я совершенно не хочу пересказывать сюжет, да и синопсис не делает ему чести, но читать Дженнифер Доннелли обязательно надо. Как то очень пронзительно и героично написано, да так, что я буду читать все остальные книги этой писательницы.

Comments

  1. I love this novel so much. It's so tragic but also so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that it's good, everyone seems to be saying so :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost perfect rating. Ahh! Need to hurry up and start it.

    I`ve had this book on my shelf for months,only the cover is different. I got the hardback edition with the key on the cover.

    I will try and read this after I finish the book I`m currently reading. I need something great to close this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I will have to try this book, vanessa told me it was really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this book, although the cover is so much different from the US. I liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nana, it's gorgeous!

    Blodeuedd, Dehlia, you both should try it.

    Zemira, I know you are reading it right now, and I'm glad you are enjoying it. :)

    Kimba, it has so many different covers and pretty much all of them I like. Glad you loved it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was weird about this book. I really didn't like the first half. The whole self-destructive, poor little rich girl thing really just leaves me cold. OH POOR YOU WITH EVERYTHING.

    I DID love the historical bits, though. But I also though the ending was absurdly happy. Like, suddenly she's over all of her issues and in a completely healthy, happy relationship. O_O I'm such a grump. This was probably a 3.5/5 for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts