Steampunk Review: A Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel Schwarz

A Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel Schwarz (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow #1)


Egalley thanks to Del Ray

Synopsis from Goodreads
LEAVE IT TO CHANCE. Eleanor “Elle” Chance, that is—the intrepid heroine of this edgy new series that transforms elements of urban fantasy, historical adventure, and paranormal romance into pure storytelling gold.
In a Golden Age where spark reactors power the airways, and creatures of Light and Shadow walk openly among us, a deadly game of Alchemists and Warlocks has begun.

When an unusual cargo drags airship-pilot Elle Chance into the affairs of the mysterious Mr. Marsh, she must confront her destiny and do everything in her power to stop the Alchemists from unleashing a magical apocalypse.


Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UK | Fishpond

5/10

* * *
 Don't get me wrong, A Conspiracy of Alchemists is a book not without its merits. It's got great gadgets, features a cool female pilot, an honest to God helicopter powered by steam and a crazy bunch of megalomaniacs bent on changing the world.

I was prepared if not love but at least like this book, instead it simply failed to deliver.



That is the core problem of this read. It has no shortage of great ideas but doesn't follow them through, so you quickly lose interest. I really had to force myself to keep reading because my attention kept wondering.

The plot is loosely held together. I didn't see the point in alliances that were forming without obvious mutual targets. I didn't understand The Order's lack of willingness to do something in a face a of a great threat they were facing... The main villain is hardly in the picture, but instead we have an obvious sidekick of his, gloating over the main heroine in a cliche cackling speech. The end is as anticlimactic as it gets as well.

Eleanor is a nice enough girl, March is an interesting brooding Warlock, and the author has all these intriguing characters who seem to get wasted away for nothing. Aleix and The Countess, I am talking about you! There is no spark or some sort of connection between two main characters as well, and oh boy, Houston, we've got problems!

It really is a shame, but A Conspiracy of Alchemists despite its beautiful cover and synopsis is a mess lacking a strong plot and coherency despite its fantastic ideas. The potential is there, but it needs a lot of work. I do sincerely hope that the author will continue writing and improving and I wish her best of luck. 

Despite plenty of positive reviews on Goodreads and from fellow bloggers, this book just wasn't for me, which makes me feel sad and jaded.

* * *
Очень разачарована очередным стимпанковским романом. И как жалко ведь! Заговор Алхимиков - это список замечательных идей, которых автору не удалось воплотить в какой-либо смысловой сюжет, и в этом лежит основная проблема книги.

Вроде всё есть для формулы успеха - волевая героиня пилот со скрытыми магическими способностями, волшебник, помогающий ей найти похищенного отца-изобретателя, секретные сообщества Алхимиков и Волшебников, пытающихся захватить власть над миром с помощью дельфийского Оракла, даже вампиры и парижские зелёные феи, прячущиеся в бутылках с абсентом...

Но нет, автор бросается из одной идеи в другую, теряет к ним интерес и не доводит ни одну до конца. У Марча и Элли несмотря на приключения друг с другом не ощущается никаких искорок или даже интересных разговоров, злодеи смехотворны, союзники бездействуют, а интересные персонажи размениваются ни на что до того, как к ним успеваешь привыкнуть. 

И жалко и смешно и не стоит тратить время на почтение пока автор как следует не отточит перо.

Comments

  1. I am sorry this one was not for you, but you can't love them all. I hope your next book will be a 9 or 10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this book is for me. Thank you for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really difficult for me at first so I can understand at the end I thought about giving it up so when the rhythm has changed it was a lot better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kara!

    Thanks for commenting on my STS post! I will also comment on your postman post, but when I saw that you had reviewed this book, I just had to stop and read your thoughts.

    Gee...I's so disappointed....I featured this novel in one of my "Waiting On Wednesday" posts some time ago, and was really looking forward to reading it. Your review has deflated my balloon.... Oh, well, guess I'll have to pass on this one.

    Thanks for the very honest review -- I agree that, with such a beautiful cover, it's really too bad the book didn't deliver! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I feel bad it's like we didn't even read the same book, it grabbed me from page one and I found it riveting. I felt I understood what drove the Order, and the villains. Bummer, I hope your next read is a 10 for you chica!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wahhhhh! I'm officially removing this from my to-read list. I had such hopes, but this is the third meh review I've seen for this, and I don't think I need it in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaah, I've been hearing this one is falling flat. I was curious to hear your thoughts too. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aurian, I think it was LOL I read Diana Harkness next and the book was gorgeous.

    A pleasure, Marcela! ;)

    Melliane, I know exactly what you mean. I had trouble concentrating in the beginning at first too.

    Blodeuedd, yeah :) Pity when a book you're excited about does it to you...

    Maria, I hope I didn't put you off. I've seen lots of people enjoying it, so maybe it will be a good fit for you too. You never know until you try.

    Aww, that's alright, Kimba. It happens! I reckon that sometimes reading is very dependent on moods and what triggers you.

    Christina, yep. I've seen them too. Disappointing when that happens.

    Melissa, unfortunately. And I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Kara!

    Just came back to tell you that I have entered a giveaway for this novel. If I win it, I will of course read it, and see for myself. But you're not the only one with a negative review of this book. I've seen several already.

    Thanks again for the review!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts