IMM#29 or was your week as awesome as mine?

Hey, guys!
It's been an insanely busy week at work, but I also managed to drive to Chester with my hubby, and the town was gorgeous...



Birgit, if you noticed, your bag goes with me everywhere!:)
 We went through few antique shops and I picked up a lovely pair of crystal earrings, and of course Waterstone's in Chester was amazing! and YES, I did get that £1 offer of them at last.

So here is what's in my mailbox this week...

Egalleys


Now, I don't think this is a final cover, because I've seen few different versions of it so far, but the premise sounds fascinating:

Expelled from school, betrayed by her best friend and virtually ignored by her dad, who's never recovered from the death of her mum, Beth Bradley retreats to the sanctuary of the streets, looking for a new home. What she finds is Filius Viae, the ragged and cocky crown prince of London, who opens her eyes to the place she's never truly seen. But the hidden London is on the brink of destruction. Reach, the King of the Cranes, is a malign god of demolition, and he wants Filius dead. In the absence of the Lady of the Streets, Filius' goddess mother, Beth rouses Filius to raise an alleyway army, to reclaim London's skyscraper throne for the mother he's never known. Beth has almost forgotten her old life - until her best friend and her father come searching for her, and she must choose between the streets and the life she left behind.

Hidden London! A god of demolition! I was sold.

This is one of the rare books exploring the world outside of US/UK/Canada. I don't know much of Slovakian folklore and culture but here is my chance to find out!

When Tomas was six, someone — something — tried to drown him. And burn him to a crisp. Tomas survived, but whatever was trying to kill him freaked out his parents enough to convince them to move from Slovakia to the United States.
Now sixteen-year-old Tomas and his family are back in Slovakia, and that something still lurks somewhere. Nearby. It wants to drown him again and put his soul in a teacup. And that’s not all. There’s also the fire víla, the water ghost, pitchfork-happy city folk, and Death herself who are after him.
If Tomas wants to survive, he'll have to embrace the meaning behind the Slovak proverb, So smrťou ešte nik zmluvu neurobil. With Death, nobody makes a pact.

Bought

Here is that £1 each Waterstones offer! *huge grin* You bet that The Name of The Star (which is a great book) goes into my next giveaway!

Wanted to read this book for ages and glad I've waited for UK cover. It's beautiful.

Spied this gorgeous cover in a charity shop in Chester. Me and redheads = instalove.

 Very excited about it, as this book keeps getting very good reviews.

Won

Thanks to Eleusinian Mysteries of Reading and Scholastic!

For Review

Thank you, S.J.!

What's in your mailbox, ladies and gents?

By the way, has anyone seen John Carter already? Yummy visually, crappy pace-wise, the princess Dejah looked absolutely stunning, love line was totally unnecesary. I'll review the film soon.



Now good soundtrack is a must, but no man candy today (we had woman candy aka clothes and jewelry instead).

 
Happy St.Patrick's Day!
Happy Mother's Day!
Whatever you celebrate,
Happy Sunday!

Comments

  1. Nice! I still gotta read The Name of the Star! Really love that UK cover of it though!

    My IMM will be up tomorrow so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a great mailbox. The John Carter pics were nice too. Looks like you had a good time.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chester is a beautiful city - but difficult to walk around if you're wearing heels! :)
    Fantastic haul this week. I've had The Name of the Star and Department 19 sat in my shelves for ages...I really must get round to reading them soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd rather switch with the bag and go on a stroll through Chester myself :-D! Love this Victorian feeling that many English towns convey *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely haul this week! I love UK cover of Legend and if I ever get paperback copy, I'm definitely going for UK one. Simply gorgeous.

    And I really want to read Vodnik! Maybe because Slovakia is my neighbor. ;D

    And I've seen a lot of John Carter ads in my city (needles to say... Taylor Kitsch!) but I have yet to see it. Hunger Games first, though. Priorities! ;)

    Happy Sunday!

    Agnieszka @ Nook of Books
    Check my international giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen John Carten last week and while whatching it I kept thinking that princess Dejah with the sword looks just like Kate Daniels (by Ilona Andrews) should look if there was a movie

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I also had bonds of fenrir I hope you"ll like it. I didn't know about the others but I really like the covers.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dying to read Immortal City. I can't wait to see what you think! :) Have a great week, Kara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great haul this week, I loved Name of the Star and D19 is AMAZING!!!!!
    Thanks for stopping by my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure my week wasn't as awesome as yours, it's been a bit rubbish, what with my laptop being out of action for half of it! I got The City's Sons too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *whispers* I love redheads on covers too. The Night School I think I want purely for that reason. :x
    And Chester is gorgeous! I love historic towns like that. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Name of the Star looks good! Nice haul this week. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, Chester is so gorgeous, K!! <3 I'm definitely adding it to my long list of Places To Visit When I Graduate High School! :) And I'm really happy that you loved The Name of the Star! It was actually a really fun book for a mystery/Jack-the-Ripper story, and the protagonist was hilarious!

    Amazing mailbox as always, Karina! And I love the change in eye-candy this week -- it's definitely awesome to appreciate the kick-butt and jewelery-clad women sometimes too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great books!! The Name of the Star is on my wishlist, need to get it soon. Happy reading:)
    You can find my Mailbox here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vodnik sounds intriguing, Slovakian folk tales? Cool.

    The pics from John Carter are luscious. I wasn't planning on seeing it, but those pics are tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOOOH. I saw The City's Son the other day and was SO intrigued. I mean, the cover looks all kinds of badass (and FINE. Maybe I started a little too long at that shirtless guy :P) but it also sounds fantastic. I am really eager to read some reviews for it.

    LOVE Legend, my fingers are crossed that you will too! Such a fantastic book.

    And I haven't seen John Carter, but uh... I may be intrigued by a certain sexy Taylor Kitsch hehe.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Name of the Star was a great read! Loved it! And The City's Son looks interesting! Talk about a book hottie! I saw John Carter, and I liked it enough, but I had no idea it was a movie on Mars..I guess they failed to show that in the trailer #fail!

    ---
    Giselle from booknerd.ca
    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  18. The UK cover for Legend is soooooo beautiful! I am not crazy about the US one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to London in a couple of days and I can't wait to see Waterstone's again! I always buy so many books when I'm in England. :D

    I think Vodnik is very similar to vodyanoy, but who knows how the author used the folklore for his story? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Petra, Waterstone's has got some amazing book deals at the moment, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to resist! ;) Make sure to ask about that £1 offer, it should stay active for the whole March.
    I think you are right vodnik will be the equivalent of vodyanoy - the folklore is pretty similar around Eastern European countries.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The City's Son looks seriously good. o: And so does Entangled and The Name of the Star! Well more then them, but I'm at least familiar with those. ;) Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kara-Karina, haha, I'm absolutely sure I won't resist! :D
    I'm just looking at your profile on Goodreads for some good Urban Fantasy books! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts