YA Review: A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan

A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan (Digit #1)


bought

Synopsis from Goodreads
Farrah "Digit" Higgins may be going to MIT in the fall, but this L.A. high school genius has left her geek self behind in another school district so she can blend in with the popular crowd at Santa Monica High and actually enjoy her senior year. But when Farrah, the daughter of a UCLA math professor, unknowingly cracks a terrorist group's number sequence, her laid-back senior year gets a lot more interesting. Soon she is personally investigating the case, on the run from terrorists, and faking her own kidnapping-- all while trying to convince a young, hot FBI agent to take her seriously. So much for blending in . . .

Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UKBooksOnBoard

7/10

* * *
 I've read a few fantastic reviews of this book and was really enthusiastic about reading Farrah's story. Add to it that YA spy novels is like crack to me (Ally Carter, I'm totally blaming you!), so of course I didn't hesitate to buy it.



All in all, A Girl Named Digit is a nice book. I know that plenty of girls and boys(mostly girls) would enjoy it, but ultimately it turned out to be way too fluffy and silly for me.

Farrah's life and her obsession with numbers, lines and seeing something systematic in everything she does and experiences was the most fascinating part of the book and its most enjoyable quirk for me personally.

 However Farrah's silly mistakes and her partnership with a rookie agent who should have had way more sense than he exhibited didn't make much sense to me. 

You tell me, after watching a few spy movies made in the last 10 years, - would you leave your cell phone on knowing full well you can be tracked by GPS signal while you are hiding in a secret FBI location? That was the first thing that seriously irked me.

Secondly, you are telling me that two youngsters cracked the code for terrorist cell phone conversations in their spare time while proper decoders haven't done it before? And the same two youngsters were sent to retrieve the documents of said terrorist cell from a public location when just days ago they were still in hiding? I just... can't even... Sorry, my problem was that I couldn't suspend my disbelief and just enjoy the silliness. 

When something doesn't make sense it turns the whole experience sour. The only other plus of this book is that the relationship between Farrah and John, the secret agent was really sweet.

I urge you not to give up on this book until you read Joy's excellent review because she ended up loving A Girl Named Digit.

* * *
Честно говоря, книженция оказалась чересчур абсурдной. Я очень люблю подростковую шпионскую прозу (спасибо Алли Картер), но никакой логики и интересного сюжета в этой книге я не увидела.

Фарра по идее - математический гений, расшифровывающий код террористической организации. Ей приходится спрятаться в укрытии ФБР вместе с молодым амбициозным агентом, Джоном Беннетом, пока ФБР пытается поймать и арестовать террористов.

Однако Фарра, которую сразу же предупредили, что телефоном ей пользоваться нельзя, почему то прячет свой мобильник и оставляет его включённым на всё время. 

Ну что за хрень с самого начала? Да в любом шпионском боевике сразу же говорится, что от телефона надо избавляться иначе тебя выследят по сигналу GPS в два счёта.

И подобное идиотство и несуразица встречается на протяжение всей книги. Наверное если отключить мозги, то комедийное настроение книги подросткам понравится, но вот я переварить её не смогла несмотря на восторженные отзывы друзей. Обидно.

Comments

  1. I am just gonna pass on this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really read books like this for the reasons you say. I can copy with made up magic powers but as soon as you make it "realistic" and make out kids can do everything, it gets on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is why i tend to stick to YA dystopian, while the premise sounds good..it is just a little too young for me..awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, that does sound like a bit of a stretch that they solved something professionals couldn't. I mean, they could have sold it, but it wouldn't work well with the silly vibe that appears to go along with everything. I'm still kind of curious, but I've noted this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts