Urban Fantasy Review: Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott

 Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott (The Half-Light City #1)

bought

Synopsis from Goodreads
Welcome to the Half-Light City.

Imagine a city divided. On one side, the Night World, ruled by the Blood Lords and the Beast Kind. On the other, the elusive Fae and the humans, protected by their steadfast mages. A city held together by nothing more than a treaty-and even then, just barely...

I was born of a Fae mother, but I had no place amongst her kind. They called me "soulless." An abomination. Perhaps they're right...I'm a wraith, a shadow who slips between worlds. I was given into the service of a Blood Lord who raised me to be his most feared assassin. Still, I'm nothing more than a slave to my master, and to the need that only he can fulfill...

Then he orders me to kill Simon DuCaine, a powerful sunmage. In the blaze of his magic, my own disappears. Instead of seeking revenge, Simon shows me mercy. He wants to free me. But that's one thing my master and his kind will never allow.

And even if I thought I could trust Simon, stepping from the shadow into the light isn't as simple as it sounds...


 Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UK

7.5/10

* * *
 Maybe I'm spoiled with good urban fantasy, but I was slightly underwhelmed with Shadow Kin.


It's a good mix of urban fantasy and paranormal romance, and I've enjoyed reading it, but it needed an edge like Cat and Bones from The Night Huntress series to become memorable and addictive. And edge of darkness, of desperation and explosive violence.

Otherwise it stays just NICE. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want me to recommend you a GREAT read... Then this series will be totally taken out of equation.

The most interesting thing about Shadow Kin is its villain, Lucius. Mad, vicious and very dark, he plays a deep game and you only start seeing his intrigues for what they are in the end. Alas his appearance in the book is really spotty and in the end he is permanently removed from the case while you are left with slightly trivial heroes - tortured and reckless do-gooder healer Simon and Lily, an insecure and fragile assassin of Lucius, who's just waiting for love to understand that she is unhappy in her chosen line of work and will escape it to save her true love. *yawn*

I little bit of fighting and  a lot of talking ensues, big secret revealed, all the baddies punished... and voila, relatively happy ending. A hearty winter meal, but don't expect a delicacy.

* * *
Нормально, добротно написано, но как-то банально получилось. Вроде милая книженция - микс паранормального романа и городского фэнтэзи, а дух не захватывает, читать продолжение сразу же не хочется, да и забывается книга быстро. Уж очень она не яркая и сливается с остальными книгами жанра.

А в итоге, желудок набит, а больше такое блюдо есть не хочется. Единственное яркое пятно в книге - это злодей Люциан - такой он тёмный, безумный, очень опасный и склонный к жёстким вспышкам насилия и глубоким интригам. Очень, очень жаль, что от него быстренько избавляются, - вот про него бы я книгу прочла!

Читайте не читайте, - ваше дело, однако рекомендовать не буду.

Comments

  1. I want more from UF, I can take this from pnr but I just want great from UF so I am unsure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it never made it up the great list. It does interesting but if it never click I won't be rushing out to get it...I have far too many UF books on my shelves already! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Glances at TBR pile* With the books I need to read, I can only grab prime delicacies, bummer this was just meh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boo! I like these covers a lot, so I was hoping for more. I'll leave this on my GR list, but I'm not going to be running out to procure a copy. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh* Good urban fantasy is hard to find these days. I think I've just about read them all - all the really good ones, I mean. This one seems to be exactly what I expected, fun, but not memorable.
    I'm currently reading my way through the Allie Beckstrom series and I can say the same: it's good, but there's something missing.
    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this one but I confess I was a little mixed about it. It's nice but not what I expected. It was easier with the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting plot, I hate that it was underwhelming. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blodeuedd, I've read two books in series so far and I'm not feeling the love :)

    Mel, try the library first.

    Kimba, maybe it was just me *shrugs* I just wasn't impressed.

    Christina, I love all the covers in this series, it's just the content I'm having problems with :(

    Maja, I felt the same about Allie Beckstrom. read about 3 books and themn stopped. I just wasn't infatuated.

    D., you are right. The second one was easier.

    Becca, I know, me too! And covers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts