Early Review: Demon's Curse by Alexa Egan

Demon's Curse by Alexa Egan (Imnada Brotherhood #1)

Egalley thanks to Pocket Books

Synopsis from Goodreads
A fast-paced and captivating debut—the first in the dark and sexy Imnada Brotherhood series about shape shifters in Regency-era England.

A rising star on the Covent Garden stage, Bianca Parrino believes she has everything she wants. Independence. Wealth. And a life finally free of her violent, abusive husband. But when her close friend, Adam, is murdered, and Bianca is suspected in his death, she is unwittingly drawn into the search for his killer, and soon must question everything she believes—about her friend, about herself, and about a world she never knew existed.

A member of the mysterious race of shape-shifting Imnada and part of an elite military unit, Captain Mac Flannery gathered intelligence during the Napoleonic wars. As a result of a savage massacre, Mac and the men he served with are cursed. Now one of them has been found murdered, and Mac suspects the existence of the Imnada has been discovered at last. His only link to unearthing the truth is the beautiful actress who turns up unexpectedly at Adam’s funeral.

Before long, Mac has more to contend with than Bianca’s overt mistrust, his ill-fated attraction to the haughty and beautiful actress, and his ongoing search for an end to the curse. Because Adam’s killer is back, and Mac is next on his list.


Release date: December 26th 2012.

 Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UK(£3.74)

2/10

* * *
Unfortunately this is one of those books that really didn't work for me. I know plenty of people love paranormal romance by Jennifer Ashley, Jacquelin Frank or Kresley Cole. I'm not one of them, but if you are, don't discount this book because of my very short review.



What went wrong? What you have here is a great promise to deliver, fabulous cover, mysterious synopsis...  I was expecting something akin to Firelight by Kristen Callihan, beautiful, Gothic, fairytalish,  - what I've got is a jerky, stubborn alpha male, wooden main heroine, tropes upon tropes of classic historical romances and paranormal romances and very little action...

I was bored out of my mind, peeps, and kept skimming the pages to get to the end and be done with the misery. There was absolutely no attraction between Bianca and Mac. They were telling us there was, but they were not showing it, and I think the whole problem with this book is that there is hell of a lot of talk and very little show.

 I do not recommend this book, but again, I was the wrong type of reader for it. Plenty of people will find it just fine.


* * *
Жутко меня разочаровала эта книга, но если вам нравится Жаклин Франк, Дженнифер Эшли и Кресли Коул, не судите её по моему ревью. Вполне возможно, она вам понравится.

Мне же было смертельно скучно. Герой оказался типичным мачо альфой с одной извилиной в мозгу и той прямой, героиня так и осталась картонной. Сплошные клише на клише паранормальных и исторических романов и постоянный разговор о чувствах главных героев, вместо того чтобы показать нам их наглядно.

Главная проблема этой книги в том, что действие заменено разговором о том, что надо сделать практически во всём, и как таковой сюжет сдаётся и спивается от горя тихо под столом. Я его понимаю. Мне тоже хотелось водочки после этой дрянной книжки.

Не тратьте время, если у нас с вами совпадают вкусы. Если вам нравятся вышеперечисленные авторы, вполне возможно понравится и эта книга.

Comments

  1. Well this sucks, but he sounds like and ass, and I do like alpha..just not an ass of an alpha. That's a big no no

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it didn't work for you...there's such a fine line in paranormal romances...which is why I generally prefer UF with or without a love interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't read your review, just looked at your numbers..i am reviewing this later this month..and am still in love with the cover and the gooey goodness of the synopsis and do not want anything to influence me..but I am sad you ranked it so low..we shall compare notes at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BAHAHAHA, you know what they say about men with impressive swords, don't you?

    Also, for real, who wears clothing like that? I mean, his shirt is freaking TUCKED IN, but he's opened it so he can better fight some enemy without even clothing to protect him. What an idiot.

    Looks like the inside matched my opinion of the cover. Ick, ick, ick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blodeuedd, something tells me you end up pissed off after reading this book too :)

    Mel, me too usually. But the synopsis in this one made me think of Firelight, and I loved that book!

    Kimba, I hope you like it! I just knew that it wasn't for me personally ;(

    hristina, I actually loved his military jacket and that dagger. The rest is stupid I know but completely normal for old style HR :D I'm pretty used to it and don't snicker too much anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts