Book Buying Ban week #15 OR in other words, we are almost there!

Well, me dears! We are coming to the end of my shaky self-imposed book acquiring ban, only two more weeks left, and I can't wait!

I don't think I'll go crazy and I do know that I'd want to keep no more than 30 unread books with me at a time, so we'll see how it goes...

The books I've READ this week:

SHADOW KIN was fast and very entertaining. SON IN SORROW is another brilliant crowd-funded project by Meilin Miranda that came out just great. Her serialized fantasy has many followers but I just prefer to buy full books and read them at once. And it was a very hefty read, but marvelous as usual. THE BANDIT KING mostly disappointed me. It followed Tris's point of view, and I would have preferred to know Vianne's thoughts on the matter as well, otherwise it was too dry and depressing. BONESHAKER was a very good piece of early steampunk, intense and full of drive. THE KING'S CONCUBINE was just fascinating. I rarely read historical fiction but I couldn't tear myself away from the life of Alice Perriers, a concubine of Edward Plantagenet, a commoner and a fabulous businesswoman. At last, DEMONIZED was a fun novella from Naomi Clark and GIFTED unfortunately didn't work for me. I could see it was a good book and I skimmed it until the very end, but I felt in limbo: not interested enough to read it thoroughly and not uninterested enough to DNF it. Weird, huh? I won't be reviewing it because of that.

DNF:

I've read 1/4 of the book and the girl whose name I don't remember had no personality, her whole life revolved around a boy who she felt strongly, almost obsessively about since the day they met. No thank you, not interested in another door mat. DNF.

Total:
24 books left

I didn't buy anything I swear!

Ashes and Wine was won from Taryn on Bea's blog, The Dragon Men was a pre-order from ages ago and The Farm arrived from Penguin as a pleasant surprise, because they do send me random reads from time to time, and this time they hit the jackpot, because I'm desperate to read this book. Thank you, book gods, for looking after me!
______________________________________

Around this blog there are still two awesome giveaways to enter, both international:

Around the blogosphere two fantastic reviews caught my attention, both for books I love and both explaining in great eloquency why you need to read them:
 Easy by Tammara Webber reviewed by katiebabes and Sunshine by Robin McKinley reviewed by our birthday girl, Heather!

That's it, Happy Sunday! Enjoy your day!

Comments

  1. Very nice....I just started a book buying ban as I have way too much inventory and need to reduce some of the inventory.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaky book buying ban indeed! Not as though I would judge *cough*.
    Oh nooo ... I still have "Evernight" on my TBR piles! That bad? Really!? "The Farm" looks good though! I've read about this book on other blogs before, so my radar is on high alert, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE to get down to 24 books on my TBR pile...you've been doing so well for such a long time - how do you do it...??
    I've had my eye on Shadow Kin for ages looking forward to your review!
    The Farm does look good doesn't it? I love the name of one of the characters! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Boneshaker too, as you saw, and I'm really liking it. I love that Priest seems to really know her characters. I've been promised a copy of The Farm just recently and I'm very excited about reading it. Look forward to reading your review.

    Oh, and you're reading Sacrificial Magic! Possibly my favorite of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shadow Kin was nice but a little too cliché... I was surprised as I thought it was a UF book. The second one is nice as well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Sunday :D And I really want to read Boneshaker..the Kin book and more

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh nice haul!! I did hear mixed things about that series by Claudia Gray, so I steered clear of it. Although I did really, really enjoy her standalone Fateful, it featured werewolves and the Titanic!

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your reads! My book buying band is about to go into effect, mostly because I had to give my friend a list of books to choose from to buy me for Xmas, so I gave her dates leading up to Xmas. It's going to be a loooong wait!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I could cope with only 24 books on my TBR but good for you! My TBR just ticked over 600 this week...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got The Farm too! It turned up and I was like "what the hell is this?" then the more of the blurb and press release inserts I read, the more I wanted to start there and then. Can't wait!

    And i'm there in TBR pile high heaven with Ellie, as you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great haul, The Farm sound like a great read I have not heard of it so I will have to find out when it's released.

    thanks for stopping by my haul

    ReplyDelete
  11. All you lucky bloggers that got a copy of The Farm this week. I am so jealous!

    I am not surprised you DNFd Evernight. I have not heard great things about that series. I am anticipating her new book coming out though, so I hope that's better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked Evernight but the relationship wasn't as healthy as it could have been. I did mostly enjoy the series.

    I hope you like Ashes and Wine. :)

    I think you have done very well with your book buying ban; I'm sure I wouldn't do nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe I should try a book ban..I saw Boneshaker and thought ya know I have that book to read somewhere *eyes massive tbr pile and overloaded nook*

    ReplyDelete
  14. No more than 30 unread? O_O

    *eyes bookshelves overflowing with unread books* Seriously, I think I have at least 600 unread books, probably more. I am a failure.

    You're not missing anything by DNFing Evernight.

    I enjoyed The Farm. Lots of creepy creatures. What a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am on a self-imposed book buying ban, too. I have too many unread books on my shelf and I am flat broke, making 2 extremely good reasons not to be buying. Doesn't make not getting to read new books any easier!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts