Steampunk'd #1 or Introducing the new feature


Ta-da!

Ladies and gentlemen, without further introduction, let's get steampunk'd!

I've been enamoured with this genre which has been turning into subculture for a few years already, but now I want to start exploring it seriously and share what I find with you.

You are very welcome to join me and share this feature or link back to me your own.

What will it contain? Anything. Book reviews, theatre, music, events, shops, gadgets, etc. This is what's so fascinating about steampunk, - there are no limits or rules. You are reinventing and reimagining the world. The sky is your limit. Or not.

So what is Steampunk? Here is a short video from the upcoming movie Vintage Tomorrows which answers this question.

How did I get into it? I solely blame Gail Carriger and her Parasol Protectorate series.
Synopsis from Goodreads Without a morsel of exaggeration, its publisher describes this debut novel as "a comedy of manners set in Victorian London full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking." At the center of Soulless's "parasol protectorate" is Miss Alexia Tarabotti, a young woman who lacks not only a suitor but also a soul. And those are not her only problems: When she accidentally kills a vampire, it begins a series of events that she must set out to resolve without the help of any proper authorities. A charming mass market original. When I read it I thought "what a gem!" Paranormal creatures in Victorian society, pretty clothes and fascinating gadgets. I needed to read more...
Synopsis from Goodreads A steampunkish romantic fantasy set in Ondinium, a city that beats to the ticking of a clockwork heart. Taya, a metal-winged courier, can travel freely across the city's sectors and mingle indiscriminately among its castes. A daring mid-air rescue leads to involvement with two scions of an upperclass family and entanglement in a web of terrorism, loyalty, murder, and secrets. Then came Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti, and I was lost. The world was absolutely amazing, the main character worked as a courier with mechanical wings, and the whole gadgetry was absolutely beautiful. "Welcome to the Dark Side,"I heard, " we've got cookies." If you don't think you ever got steampunk'd, you did. Only you don't know it yet. Just a few movies with steampunk features...
Here is my question to you: Do you remember the first time you got steampunk'd? Was it a film or a book? Give me the name of the culprit :) So far, this is it for today. Here are some of my pics from Steampunk Asylum Convival 2011 which I went to last Saturday (I'm still waiting for professional shots to share with you, guys). It was fantastic! I've seen so many interesting things and costumes (which I couldn't afford by the way)... But this is a tale for later. Hope you enjoyed this! Until the next time. Ciao! P.S. Look out for a steampunk feature coming soon from Hannah @  Once Upon A Time. Русская версия

Comments

  1. It's definitely a cool subgenre. Great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome feature!
    The first time I got steampunk'd was when I read Cherie Priest's Boneshaker. I fell in love and started looking for anything to do with steampunk. I totally recommend it if you haven't read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so love to read Boneshaker! I've heard so much about this book, and I love Cherrie Priest :) So yeah, very good start to get steampunk'd!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts