Review: Blackout by Mira Grant

Blackout by Mira Grant (Newsflesh trilogy #3)

bought


Synopsis from Goodreads
Rise up while you can. -Georgia Mason

The year was 2014. The year we cured cancer. The year we cured the common cold. And the year the dead started to walk. The year of the Rising.

The year was 2039. The world didn't end when the zombies came, it just got worse. Georgia and Shaun Mason set out on the biggest story of their generation. The uncovered the biggest conspiracy since the Rising and realized that to tell the truth, sacrifices have to be made.

Now, the year is 2041, and the investigation that began with the election of President Ryman is much bigger than anyone had assumed. With too much left to do and not much time left to do it in, the surviving staff of After the End Times must face mad scientists, zombie bears, rogue government agencies-and if there's one thing they know is true in post-zombie America, it's this:

Things can always get worse.

Blackout is the conclusion to the epic trilogy that began in the Hugo-nominated Feed and the sequel, Deadline.


Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK(£4.49) | The Book Depository US/UK | Fishpond

8.5/10

* * *
Feed made me burst into tears in public place. Deadline was emotionally exhausting. Blackout is...hard to judge. 


What did I love? The pacing, which is superb. The final showdown and George's speech intermixed with the blog entries.

What I found disappointing? The ease of Shaun and George's meet up, very very few zombie threats, lack of showing of the intensity of emotional attachment between Shaun and George when they get reunited... Overall, the intensity of the series got toned down a lot.

You remember Buffy's getting infected in Feed or Dave staying to die in the airstrike just so the rest of the team could get out of the city in Deadline? There was this gut-wrenching anguish, which I couldn't see in Blackout. I also missed the blog posts that interacted and made their impact on people all over the world.

Despite my misgivings, Newsflesh trilogy is still miles away from any post-apocalyptic fiction you'll ever read. It's profound, thought-provoking and really really intense. Zombies here serve as a background to a world of political intrigues and terrifying global conspiracies. An absolute MUST READ!

Anyone coming within a hundred yards of my happy ending had better pray that they're immune to bullets. - Shaun Mason

Deadline - 10/10
* * *
Очень сложно поставить оценку  последней книге трилогии. С одной стороны концовка заслуживает десятки, с другой стороны, эмоциональный эффект всей книги гораздо ниже двух предыдущих.

Шон раздражает своими бесконечными беседами с воображаемой Джордж у него в голове и в то же время когда они наконец воссоединяются, не чувствуется эмоционального накала и душевных переживаний, с которыми они прекрасно справлялись в одиночку.

Я осталась недовольна также самим сценарием их встречи, слишком уж он оказался удобным для укорачивания сюжета, а также тем, как мало здесь оказалось сцен с зомби.

Подозреваю, что я со своим разочарованием окажусь в меньшинстве, потому как в целом вся трилогия просто невероятна и стоит на голову выше большинства пост-апокалиптической литературы по своему накалу, количеству политических интриг и актуальности. Я её безумно люблю и очень вам советую!

Comments

  1. Yay! Love this series, but I do agree that this one felt a bit toned down. It was a bit less emotional than the previous. It may have been the switches back and forth in narration from Shaun to Georgia. Perhaps that kept me from getting into someone's head and emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only one in this entire planet who hasn't read this series? No? Sure feels like it. I have a paperback...which is probably why I'm not at all enthused about starting it (not kidding).

    I've read a whole slew of zombie books and let me tell ya, no one has had to sacrifice themselves to save everybody else. That alone should be incentive enough to start this series.

    Great review, lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, you are really missing out by not reading this series! It's absolutely breathtaking! You HAVE to read it, girl!

    Christina, I don't know. The hops between Shaun and George narration didn't bother me, lack of emotional response did. but I still love this series to bits! Mira Grant is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't read the review as I still have to read Deadline but I just adored Feed and I want to read these books soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may not be rushing out to buy this then. I'll definitely be wanting to finish things off but I was hoping it was going to be better than Deadline...Feed was SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...must read Feed...
    *hides from spoilers*

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I've stayed away from this series as I'm not a zombie person. But I will say, this sounds like an amazing read. And after hearing what I've heard about all the books, I might have to reconsider the zombie thing. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a zombie person ether and I love this series. The zombies are just a vehicle tor Grant to move the story forward and examine politics, social media, culture, etc. Give the series a try, it's really good.

      Delete
  8. I NEEED TO READ THIS YESTERDAAAY. Feed is one of my favorites. And oh my goodness that quote you posted... LOVED <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to skim this review because I haven't read Feed yet, though I have a copy sitting on my shelf collecting the proverbial dust! Thanks for reminding me to pick it up and get going already:))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts