The Postman Knock #35

How is everyone, peeps?
I had a quiet week and went back to listening Bjork again. Haven't heard her for ages. 
Funny how you get back to your old favorites over the years...

I've READ:

ASSASSIN'S GAMBIT is full of awesome, peeps. Buy it and read it right now! It has all the parts of fantasy I love so much. A strong, sensible heroine and a smart, clever, ruthless and at the same time cheeky hero. That couple had so much chemistry, it was beautiful. Most of all, they worked through their issues together. Win all around. DARKBORN was another very pleasant surprise. I loved this book! It strongly reminded me of Gordon Dahlquist's The Glass Books of The Dream Eaters. I'll be continuing with this series. At last, IN DEFENSE OF THE QUEEN - what a wild, intoxicating ride from beginning to the end. I've downloaded it from Netgalley and read it in one sitting. Love Diener's books!

DNF:

I'm not very lucky with dystopians I keep picking in the last few weeks, am I? I personally felt that this book was terrible on many fronts, worse than Eve by Anna Carey, because I am old and jaded and require my characters to have a certain bit of maturity in them. But then again, Branded like Eve has a lot of 5 star reviews and I'm sure it will be popular. Abi, one of the authors I spoke to is gracious and lovely, and I wish her best of luck, but this book was ultimately not for me, and I suspect not for anyone who've read The Handmaid's Tale. It's hard to beat that, peeps.

LIBRARY:
 
Thanks to Ellie for bringing my attention to this one!

FREEBIES:

Thanks to Amazon!

FOR REVIEW VIA NETGALLEY:

Thanks you, Michelle! I've read this book in one sitting and enjoyed every minute of it.

This is it.
here is a bit of Bjork for you :)
Happy Sunday!

Breathtaking, isn't she?

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed Assassin's Gambit. So hoping that Spy's Honor is really good. Great haul of books. Come visit me as well.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe take a break from dystopians for a bit? That can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Fall of Sky City as well, looks like a good read! Great haul this week. And too bad about the DNF. I had a bad-book funk the past few weeks. No fun.

    Happy reading!
    My haul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, that book was gorgeous! I dearly hope Spy's Honor will be just as good.

    Bea, believe it or not, I very rarely request YA dystopians, and only those I had an eye on for awhile. You might be right. I'll just stop requesting them for now :)

    Blodeuedd, it was soooo good. Hopefully you enjoy it too!

    Ula, *high five*! It happens sometimes. Let's hope next week is better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo I like the cover of Sentinel. It's going to take me ages to get to We just ebcause we're doing an A-Z classics thing in book group and it was my suggestion for Z (which everyone is happy with because it sounds awesome AND saves the day on an awkward letter).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Those are new to me! Hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall check out Darkborn! Shame about your dystopian struggles, there is a lot of people writing who don't seem to understand the point of the genre these days.. I also picked up Sentinel, thanks for tweeting that one! I likely would have caught it in my top 100 fantasy list ganders but definitely grabbed it because of you. Have a lovely week, hun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH dear, I agree with you about dystopias that do the women as chattel thing, because they're up against Atwood and that is a TOUGH place to be. Will not be reading that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christina, that wasn't even that. The main heroine was labeled with the sin of LUST and called a whore throughout the whole book until the medical examination found that she is a virgin. The undying love of the hero came right after. I can't even... I know you and I know myself. Yes this kind of scenario can happen in a male-dominated world but it's extremely unpleasant to read a confirmation of it again and again :( I really don't think you'll have a tolerance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Bjork and how she is able to capture old truths and stories which still resonate nowadays. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts