YA Fantasy Review: Eon by Alison Goodman

Eon by Alison Goodman (Eon #1)


Christmas gift

Synopsis from Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Eon has a dream, and a mission. For years, he's been studying sword-work and magic, toward one end. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye-an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.

But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a twelve-year-old boy. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured.

When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.


Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UK | Fishpond

9/10

* * *
What a great read! Eon is what any self-respecting teen should read if they are interested in women represented as more than gentle wilted flowers wrapped in cotton candy.



It's also a lovely treat for anyone who has interest in Asia and Asian mythology. I would recommend it along with Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff and anything by Kylie Chan, whose crazy complicated writing I adore, even if it frustrates the hell out of me!

So, in this book Eona is training to become bonded with one of the twelve energy dragons of China which ensure that the country has great harvests and avoid natural disasters. She is one of the many apprentices and disguises herself as a boy, because energy work is supposed to be forbidden to women.

One the day of choosing she is picked by a forgotten 13th dragon and instead of an Apprentice straight away becomes a Master (because everyone in the house of this dragon died long time ago.

Unwittingly, she becomes involved in rivalry and deathly intrigues among Dragon Masters while still trying to hide that she is a girl and find out what went wrong with her connection to her dragon.

Eon is a very exciting, nerve-wrackingly intense, fast fantasy, and although for a reader the main mystery becomes obvious from the beginning, Eona won't find out what to do until the very end when it would seem that her whole world is lost and that she destroyed the dreams of people who rely on her.

I loved that book which reads like a scrumptious Disney cartoon akin to Mulan, and I can't wait to read more about Eona! Highly recommended.

* * *
С большим удовольствием читала Ион. Такое интересное и очень хорошее фэнтэзи в стиле диснеевского Мулан с драконами, великолепными злодеями и китайским колоритом. Ах!

Иона притворяется мальчишкой, так как несколько лет назад её учитель подобрал её на улице, увидев в ней потенциал работы с энергией и теперь тренирует её в качестве подмастерья для 12 энергетических драков Китая.

Популярное мнение гласит, что женщины не могут работать с энергией и за это им грозит смертная казнь, поэтому Иона переодета в мальчика.

Когда наступает день выбора, неожиданно её выбирает 13-й дракон давно утерянный в истории Китая, и вместо подмастерья Иона становится Мастером забытого дома.

Теперь ей придётся невероятно осторожно лавировать опасные воды соперничества между домами, политических интриг и своего собственного секрета, грозящего ей смертной казнью, и в то же время разобраться, почему её собственный дракон отказывается с ней работать...

Читайте, захватывающая история, очень рекомендую!

Comments

  1. I have heard good things :D So yeah I'd read it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been attracted to these books, but your review makes me want to read it! Thank Kara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blodeuedd, it was pretty cool. Hope you will have a chance to read it!

    Aurian, it's a decent YA fantasy with a strong female lead like it happens in UF, so I hope you'll try this genre :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, a comparison to Mulan? I LOVE that movie. One of the best Disney ones. Also, I own this and need to make time to read it, because I LOVE Asian-focused stories. Just look at my kdrama addiction. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I expected more than I ended up getting from Eon, but mostly because my expectations were sky high. I adored the world and the mythology too, though, and there are so many other things I really enjoyed. I bought book two a while back. Now I just need to find the time to read it.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you liked it! This book is so great. But the second one is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh it sounds great! I really love the cover. I think we have it in French too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina, no excuse you you own this! It was so entertaining. Read it! ;)

    Maja, I didn't have any expectations just a vagie notion of what this book was about, so I probably enjoyed it without reservations I woud have had otherwise.

    Sofija, AAAAAH! I can't wait to read it!

    D., it's very enjoyable to read. Hope you'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I've almost picked this book up a few times...and put back because short on money. But I do want it. So glad to hear it's a great read. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, I am pretty sure you'll enjoy it. It's a great fantasy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually own a copy of this one too and it should be one of my next reads! I LOVED your review! Especially how you described the MC & setting~ Stormdancer is another one on my must-read list :D Excellent review, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts