Review: Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander

Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander (Edie Spence #1)

bought

Synopsis from Goodreads
Nursing school prepared Edie Spence for a lot of things. Burn victims? No problem. Severed limbs? Piece of cake. Vampires? No way in hell. But as the newest nurse on Y4, the secret ward hidden in the bowels of County Hospital, Edie has her hands full with every paranormal patient you can imagine—from vamps and were-things to zombies and beyond…

Edie’s just trying to learn the ropes so she can get through her latest shift unscathed.  But when a vampire servant turns to dust under her watch, all hell breaks loose. Now she’s haunted by the man’s dying words—Save Anna—and before she knows it, she’s on a mission to rescue some poor girl from the undead. Which involves crashing a vampire den, falling for a zombie, and fighting for her soul. Grey’s Anatomy was never like this…


Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US | The Book Depository US/UK

 8.5/10

* * *
 After all the so-so reviews from the big blogs I've seen, this book managed to pleasantly surprise me. I loved it and I devoured it in a few hours.

Refreshing, down to earth and at the same time crazily entertaining.



Edie works nightshifts, she gained few kilos because of the nature of her job, she is lonely average woman caught between weird world of paranormal and occasional one night stands to relieve the pressure. She only got contracted for the job she is doing because the supernatural agreed to keep her junkie brother from overdosing on heroin, but she sort of got used to her colleagues and unusual clients and she is okay...

Until one of the half-vamps dies on her duty and she feels compelled to search for his relative and save her from a live of slavery for local vampire baddies.

What happens next is insanity which escalates with each night of running from vamps, syphilitic dragons, shapeshifters and your neighbourly zombie-firefighter who she might or might not trying to date.

Grisly fun in a manner of True Blood series and totally bonkers. Really recommended!

* * *
И очень даже понравилось!

Неплохая паранормальная комедия в манере сериала True Blood. Эдди - обычная женщина, молодая медсестра, вынужденная работать в ночную смену на тайное крыло госпиталя, обслуживающее паранормальных существ со всей страны.  Работа как работа, несмотря на экзотичность, да и коллеги ей нравятся, только вот всё меняется когда во время смены Эдди умирает её пациент полу-вампир..

...оставляя медсестру с наказам найти его родственницу и вызволить её из рабства местных вампиров-мафиози с очень плохой репутацией.

Эдди умудряется наказ выполнить, в процессе прикончить пару вампиров, и вот уже её вызывают в вампирский суд и грозят смертью, за ней гоняются странные оборотни, сифилитические драконы и привлекательный пожарник-зомби, а у самой медсестры есть всего лишь неделя, чтобы доказать свою невиновность и спасти  местных монстров от злостных Теней и управляющими ими вампиров.

Смешно, интересно, полно кровищи и читается очень легко. Советую!

Comments

  1. i had just discovered it's existence yesterday in a giveaway but now if i don't win it i'm adding it to my wishlist ^^

    seem i would love it

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one as well so I'm glad it's the same for you. I'm curious now for the second one to see how she will manage to live. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *snorts* Syphilitic dragons? Really? I haven't read this one yet but who could resist? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this on my TBR pile for a while - I thought it sounded like a lot of fun - and you seem to agree! Can't wait to read it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good to me :) And truth be told..I can't remember any other reviews. Must have put the book aside in my mind after reading them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you really enjoyed it. I do have this one on the want list and do hope to get it one day. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miki, I hope you will love it!

    D., I think we had similar feelings about this book *wink*

    Joy, syphilitic dragon plays a very small part, but I just couldn't resist mentioning him! lol

    Mel, Blodeudd, Melissa, I hope you like this book, gals! *mwah*

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds interesting, I'll have to read it. The premise reminds me of two very different books: Precinct 13 and Silent Samaritan. It sounds like a blend of those two books and I liked them, so I should like this one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts