Urban Fantasy Review: Blood Trade by Faith Hunter

Blood Trade by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #6)


bought

Synopsis from Goodreads
Jane Yellowrock is a shape-shifting skinwalker who’s always up for a fight—even if it means putting her life on the line...

The Master of Natchez, Mississippi has a nasty problem on his hands. Rogue vampires—those who follow the Naturaleza and believe that humans should be nothing more than prey to be hunted—are terrorizing his city. Luckily, he knows the perfect skinwalker to call in to take back the streets.

But what he doesn’t tell Jane is that there’s something different about these vamps. Something that makes them harder to kill—even for a pro like Jane. Now, her simple job has turned into a fight to stay alive…and to protect the desperately ill child left in her care.

Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UK | Fishpond

5/10

* * *
Don't get me wrong. The book itself wasn't bad, it's the direction or lack of it for the whole series that I'm having issues with.



The earlier Jane Yellowrock I loved. First three books are brilliant and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to any urban fantasy fan, but ultimately the series is stuck in a rut, it's not developing and it's not leading the reader anywhere. There is also nothing to look forward to after the book is finished.

Leo is still on the back burner, Rick is an angsty mother*ucker who wants to have the cake and eat it, and Bruiser is not even cute anymore. In fact this is very much reminds me of Anita Blake's chastity for the first nine books in the series until she lets loose with a vengeance. Only I suspect that Jane would never let loose.

I am also having issues with 3-4 pages in a row discussing Jane's weaponry or retelling what happened in the previous books, so despite my immense respect for the author and my love of the first few books I'm bailing out on the series in general. I just have no patience for this anymore.

* * *
Вашу мать, дамы и господа! В общем-то серия для меня эта закончилась, также как и книги Дженнифер Эстеп. 

После великолепных первых трёх книг, ничего нового у Джейн не происходит, а пережёвывается сплошной ангст; арсеналу её уделяется страница за страницей, и к тому же читателя радует пересказывание того, что произошло в предыдущих книгах. Но самое худшее это то, что она до сих пор изнывает по Рику, который жутко её хочет, но не может; Лео, который не знает, трахнуть ли её или съесть на завтрак и Бруизеру, который, как третье колесо, покорно ждёт выберет она его или нет. 

Очень уже мне это напоминает первые 9 книг Аниты Блэйк, после которых та просто сорвалась и выбросила свой пояс верности, только вот я подозреваю подобное с Джейн не произойдёт. Я не люблю когда автор не даёт главной героине решимости разобраться со своими чувствами и своей сексуальностью раз и навсегда. Мне это колебание честно говоря надоело, и читать дальше мне просто не интересно.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear it wasn't good. :( Always sad to be disappointed with books, especially if it's by the author you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember listening to book 1 where she described taking out the tea set, what tea she drank and yada yada, too much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, wonder if it'll get back on track with the next book or two. I think this is another series that is rather long. I do want to get to reading it, I even have the first book here to read.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you are disappointed in this book, I just love them all very much, and wish Black Arts would fall on my doormat already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick has reason to be angsty but he does get on my nerves sometimes. Bruiser is just a pain and Leo is a treacherous bastard. I do tend to skim over the weaponry details and the fight scenes. I enjoyed the new one, Black Arts, but I do want to some forward movement with both Leo and Bruiser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bea, so Black Arts doesn't have any forward movement again?! This is just upsetting. I like the books, I love the author, but the lack of development was driving me crazy. :(

    Aurian, I'm glad you are enjoying them! I think it's just me. I have my pet-peeves. Can't help it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts