The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter review

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

copy won from Rachel Vincent


Synopsis from Goodreads
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.



* * *
I'm sure a lot of people loved or would love this book but it wasn't for me. In fact the last book I've read which was just as disappointing was Evermore by Alyson Noel.

There are quite a few reasons why I didn't like it and barely managed to finish it.
1. The idea is great, the plot bunnies are not so.
2. There is no connection with the characters. In fact it's like watching a movie with no sound and through a steamed glass, - you can see that something happens but don't feel the impact.
3. No world development at all.
4. No character development. I don't know Henry or Kate or Ava or anyone else there, and I really wanted to get to know and like them.
5. Partly the blame for #4 is on the lack of description. Most of it is skipped. The dress is white and flowy, but I want to know the details - how it felt against the skin, what's the material, the cut? The ball happened, but what are the guests, the dresses, the conversations? etc.

All in all, the book is like one of those energy bars - they promise a lot but leave you hungry. The only thing I can praise is an amazing cover, - I loved it.


* * *

Кейт приезжает с мамой в какое-то захолустье недалеко от Нью-Йорка. Мама у неё умирает от рака и решает ни с того ни с сего перебраться в этот город (название совершенно не помню). Кейт идёт в школу, и в первый же день знакомится с Джеймсом, чеерлидером Авой и её бойфрендом Диланом. Ава ревнует её к Дилану и разыгрывает над ней шутку, которая заканчивается её смертью в лесу. На сцене появляется Генри, который предлагает Кейт обмен. Он оживит Аву, а она будет проводить с ним каждый год 6 месяцев, и вообще если она почитает миф про Персефону, ей всё станет ясно.

Моя проблема была даже не в том, что практически весь сюжет был притянут за уши и количество роялей в кустах достигло рекордных высот, а в том что характеры были ну просто никакие. Кейт - вялая рыба, Генри не оставляет никакого впечатления. Ну, Ава ещё более менее живая.

Такое было впечатление, что смотришь фильм через бинокль, ну никакой близости или погружения в характеры. Так, какие-то фигурки ходят и что-то говорят друг другу. Все описания - всего лишь в общих чертах, никакого развития мира.

Я бы могла ещё долго жаловаться, но не буду. А сделаю добро и брошу книжку в воду, то есть открою ещё один контест 1-го июля. Кто хочет, выигрывайте, может для изучения английского понадобится, тексты там лёгкие, а может понравится - ведь у Ноэль много поклонников, вот и у Картер будет :)


4.5/10 

Comments

  1. Oo, I like your comparison to an energy bar! After your comment on my review I had to check yours out. ;)

    Obviously I agree with you 100% on this one, but I have to say I *also* didn't care for Evermore by Alison Noel! Apparently we have the same brain waves.

    I don't think I ever realized that your blog was in English and Russian! Does it take long to write a review? The Russian is pretty, but I can't read it at all. ;) Makes me want to go out and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, it doesn't take long at all. Sometimes if the book is bad I vent in Russian then run out of steam to do the same in English :) I'm glad we are on the same brain waves :) and that I'm not crazy for not liking Alyson Noel. You should read The Mephisto Covenant! It's so ridiculous, you ca't help but be entertained.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts