Isle of Night by Veronica Wolff REVIEW

Isle of Night by Veronica Wolff (The Watchers #1)

gifted


Synosis from Goodreads

Is life offering fewer and fewer options? Then join the dead.
When Annelise meets dark and seductive Ronan, he promises her a new life-if she has the courage to chance the unknown. Now, she's whisked away to a mysterious island and pitted against other female recruits to become a Watcher-girls who are partnered with vampires and assist them in their missions. To survive and become a Watcher, Annelise has to beat out every other girl, but she's determined to do so, because to fail doesn't mean dishonor-it means death.

Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US |  The Book Depository US/UK

* * *
I had love/hate relationship with this book. I loved the dark and very atmospheric feel of it. I could see the island of Night, taste the salt in the air, shiver in its chilly wind... On the other hand the characters are incomplete. There are glimpses of greatness in Alcantara, the vampire mathematician, potential in Emma, Annelise's friend, but here goes nothing. They all remain props, necessary to move the plot, but devoid of any depth.



This is a mash up of Morganville Vampires and Hunger Games, but Annelise despite claiming that she is a genius, doesn't use her brain like Claire or feels the terrible weight of taking human lives like Katniss... She is empty, selfish and annoying.

The book is full of gratuitous violence and terrible cliches like an uber mean girl bent on destroying Annelise.

In order to survive, you shed your humanity and betray everyone to become a Watcher. I just don't get it, peeps. What is the point? You have these male vamps who need to have female Watchers (sexist much?) so they get them among 10% of survivors - the toughest, strongest, meanest, potentially the most psychotic b*tches on the island.

The reasonable question is why not breed human servants who respect and love you in exchange for the care of their families and comfortable life, why not indoctrinate people from birth? That will ensure devotion and dedication, without a very real possibility for one of these Watchers going on the rampage and offing the vamp as soon as they are off the island.

So the whole idea either incomplete or doesn't make much sense.

The other thing that made me go bonkers is that  Annelise has her ipod and listens to her favourite music for a month until she is caught with it. There is no mention of her charging it and I sure as hell want to know what's so special about its battery if it can hold charge for more than 3 weeks! When I had one I was lucky to get 10 hours of listening to the music, and even if she does have a charger (let's be anal about it) US and UK sockets are very different, so she probably won't be able to use it anyway... Am I the only one who thought it was bizarre?!

Overall, I found the book very interesting and enjoyed it despite its flaws, and I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series. There must be light in the end of the tunnel. Surely.

* * *
Книга из серии "хотели как лучше, я получилось как всегда". Автор сварганила гибрид Морганвильских Вампиров и Голодных Игр, только вот в отличие от Клэр Аннелиза совсем своими мозгами не пользуется и в отличие от Катнисс совсем не страдает угрызениями совести когда кого-то убивает...

А жаль. Не смотря на нелепую жестокость, сливаемую на читателя с целью шокировать, потенциал, едва заметный во второстепенных персонажах - таких как Эмма или таинственный вампир-математик Алькантара совершенно не реализуется. Они так и остаются картонными характерами, оживлёнными для продвижения сюжета, но совершенно пустыми.

Сама Аннелиза уверяет нас в том, что она гений, но всё что я вижу - это глупая блондинка, эгоистка и нытик. Идеи и система мира не объясняются, упоминаются вскользь и рставляют о себе весьма шаткое впечатление...

Несмотря на огромное количество минусов, я прочитала Остров Ночи с большим удовольствием, так как умение автора создать атмосферу - мрачную, депрессивную и холодную, совершенно неповторимо.

7.5/10

Comments

  1. Nice review! A little nervous to read it now since I have it on my TBR mountain. I was really taken by the cover and it sounded promising. I will have to keep an open mind while reading I suppose since it is a new to me author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been kinda curious about this, that's for sure. So glad you enjoyed it, even if that iPod thing does sound a bit odd. ;o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! also been curious/ still on the fence tho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Kara!

    I noticed this while on your home page, and just had to come take a look.

    You have a very nice, simple way of making your points, and I greatly enjoyed reading this review! I totally concur with your statements regarding this book, especially with the one about this book being a mash-up of the Morganville Vampire series and "The Hunger Games". Not that I've read either one, but I know enough about the plots of each to agree with you.

    I totally HATED this book!! I went along with it at first, but then the sexist thing with the Watchers was a TOTAL turnoff. I didn't like Annelise, either. She didn't act as if she were a genius. At all.

    Since I TOTALLY HATE the concept of "The Hunger Games", I didn't appreciate seeing such a similarity to that book in this one. Yes, just like there are Twilight haters (NOT me, I LOVE Twilight), there must be Hunger Games haters. Haven't heard of many, though. Well, I am DEFINITELY one of them!

    But you know what FINALLY turned me off this book? The VERY gratuitous act of violence committed by one of the minor characters toward the beginning of the novel. It was MURDER, for no reason at all. Plain and clear -- MURDER.

    I don't know how you can say that you'll continue with the series. Me? That book left my house, on its way to the public library as an anonymous donation, long ago.

    Sorry for the long comment. I just had to vent. Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. What a disappointment, too, because the cover is GORGEOUS. (I especially like the right-hand side. Lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't hate the concept of The Hunger Game, Maria. Why i think it's a great book? Because it makes you think of the dangers of a totalitarian state, and people have to be aware of it, so it won't happen with them. It's a book about rising up and fighting, and the danger of revanchism and quest for power. It doesn't skim controversial ideas, it talks you through them. For me it was a must read essentially.
    Isle of Night on the other hand wants to be something as epic, but it's so shallow it reduces the whole situation to "I'll submit for now, and my love for a boy is more important than my quest for freedom". Eh, no. Things like that are not acceptable.
    Why I want to read more? I want to see if the author grows from that shallowness to something much deeper. however, I do not actively search for more books in the series, but if they fall n my lap, I'll read them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts