If you found this content anywhere else apart from http://nocturnalbookreviews.blogspot.com/ it's being used by a content scraper. Please consider using the link above and subscribing to my blog Nocturnal Book Reviews directly. Thank you!


TO COMMENT ON A POST PLEASE JUST PRESS THE POST TITLE. THANK YOU!

I'm using IntenseDebate which doesn't show up if you browse home page. The comments are visible on individual posts.


Steampunk Novella Review: The Mysterious Case of Mr.Strangeway by Karina Cooper

The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway by Karina Cooper (The St. Croix Chronicles #0.5)


Egalley thanks to Carina Press

Synopsis from Goodreads
Although I have only been part of Society for two years, I am already desperate to escape its confines and eager for adventure. The world my deceased parents have left me is nothing more than a gilded prison, and I will do anything to escape the boredom, even become a collector of bounties.

My name is Cherry St. Croix, and I may be young, but I am old enough to know when I am in over my head. My first collection seemed easy: Mr. Strangeway’s debts have come due, and the purse for his capture is hefty. Yet the wastrel remains one step ahead of me, and my efforts are hampered by another collector after the same coin. What’s more, a simple hunt becomes the forefront of a conspiracy that leads me on a chase through London’s low-class streets.

Not only does my pride demand success, but the well-being of many rest upon the choices I make—failure is not an outcome I can live with.

Amazon  US | Amazon kindle US($1.99)/UK(£1.33)

7.5/10

* * *
This is a very nice and very short novella from a fabulous steampunk series which I can't help but recommend to anyone I know. If you haven't read Tarnished or Gilded yet, you must do it!

There are couple of reasons why my rating is lower than 9 out of 10 - which is what I rate this series in general.



First of all, I dislike the nature of novella itself as it's short enough to prevent any good plot development or character depth, so my ratings of novellas are generally not higher than ratings of the same author's full books.

The second reason is specific to The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway. The chosen narration is particularly awkward, because it reads like something told from Cherry's memories and with a lot of hindsight. The reader gets distracted by "if only I knew" and "after this job I learnt to", and for me specifically this didn't work at all.

Otherwise it's a pleasant story of a 15-year old Cherry trying to make her first collection, her many silly mistakes and her propensity to get into more trouble than she can deal with. Delightful!

For fans of Hawke (RAWR!): you have to read this, because it shows how they met for the first time, and I absolutely loved his derision for the snooty girl and his unexpected acknowledge of what she managed to accomplish in the end :) Recommended with slight reservations.

* * *
Я, как вы знаете, новеллы не люблю и читаю их очень редко. Однако Карина Купер пишет одну из моих самых любимых серий стимпанка и от прочтения её новеллы я удержаться не смогла. Если вы кстати не знаете о её первой и второй книге о Черри Сент-Круа, я их очень вам рекомендую! Они просто прекрасны.

Таинственное Дело Мистера Стрэнжвэя рассказывает о первой коллекции Черри, которую она решила совершить в 15-летнем возрасте. Новелла начинается медленно и раздражает количеством размышлений вспоминающей о том, что произошло, Черри. Читателю постоянно приходится читать "если бы я только знала" и "в последующие годы я научилась", что мне ну очень не нравилось.

С середины новеллы сюжет набирает силу и становится интересным, и я особенно советую эту историю поклонникам Хоука (ваша покорная слуга в их числе), так как здесь описывается его первая встреча с Черри, и читала я о ней с огромном удовольствием.

В общем, рекомендую, но довольно сдержанно.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

GFC Followers

If you are a GFC follower please resubscribe by any other method to all the blogs you follow in such way. It is getting discontinued in 2016. You will lose all the blogs you follow gradually so you might not even notice it straightaway.


Subscribe with Feedly

Subscribe with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

networked blogs

Linky Followers

Facebook Page

Karina on goodreads

Victoria on Goodreads

Subscribe by Email

Victoria on TWITTER

FeedCount

FEEDCOUNT

Followers via Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

BLOG ARCHIVE

grab our button

Search

Loading...

KARINA IS READING

READING

The Night Circus
Legacy
Gabriel's Inferno
Touch

goodreads.com

Vika is reading

Victoria Reading

The Fault in Our Stars
Spin

goodreads.com

In case of zombie apocalypse

Hey, guys! I feel like I should say this just in case :)
If you'd like to sponsor a fellow book addict who sometimes can't sleep at night worrying that she won't have enough books to read if internet goes down in the event of zombie apocalypse (I'm convinced it's one of the top five ways to go for human race) you can donate through Paypal to olivesandacorns at gmail dot com or buy a book through any of the links provided with my reviews which will send me a small percentage from the sale. All proceeds will go towards my enormous TBR. I will also shelter you on the remote farm in Portugal when zombie apocalypse starts provided you survive getting there. There will be books, yay?
Thank you! Love you all

Book Blogger Directory

Netgalley

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Stats since May 2011

ONLINE GAME TO END HUNGER

Online game to end hunger