BL Dramas and M/M Fantasy recommendations

 So, I only recently subscribed to a few feeds talking about Asian dramas and came across this k-pop debut group. 



I know very little about K-pop, apart from BTS who are unholy awesome and in a league of their own  (hello, V and Jimin! ❤ ) but this was a pretty wicked concept from the video to the live performance...





...and it totally reminded me of Lord of The White Hell series by Ginn Hale, which I thought was awesome, and also in need of new covers. Look at the art from Japanese covers instead! Yum!


Then it led to my love for C.S. Pacat and her The Captive Prince series ( book three review is here) which is not only an epic m/m fantasy, it portrays a true antihero falling for a hero amidst war and a slew of political intrigues.





There is of course one of my favorite reads from 2020, The Last Sun and The Hanged Man by K.D.Edwards, then Josh Lanyon, Alexis Hall, TJ Klune, K.J.Charles...

It all started with a pretty shocking Japanese yaoi Ai No Kusabi which I read in Russian translation on LiveJournal when LJ was still cool, (I am showing my age here) then of course I watched the anime...

Not for the faint-hearted, folks. Only Japanese could pull off badass, disturbing, fully into BDSM antihero, all of this written in the late 80s and turned into anime in the 90s, way before it leached into the mainstream. What was interesting as well as that both characters were alphas which is why their interactions were so brutal.

I actually forgot all about it until I was recommended The Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon which I simply devoured while recovering from the flu. The love story was raw and powerful, and it just felt electric.


And of course, once I read A Charm of Magpies series by K.J.Charles there was no turning back. Also, why is it Asian covers for these books again that  are so much more interesting than European?!!






Enter the year 2020, when I discovered BL dramas (it stands for boy love) which is another definition of yaoi. They are short and delicious, and I'm loving exploring this genre.


Where Your Eyes Linger is the first BL drama produced in South Korea, and it was super cute. So was Mr. Heart.


And then there was a Netflix Original movie Wish You released this year.



And of course, one of my favorites this year, Japanese drama Cherry Magic.



I know Taiwan and Thailand are the biggest producers of BL dramas, but I haven't started exploring Taiwanese dramas yet, and the Thai language is a bit too high pitched for me to listen to without distraction. I am working up to it.

Also, I know the Chinese drama The Untamed made much noise last year, but I just can not watch it. Still on episode 9, it's soo slow it's killing me.

What about you, folks? Any recommendations for me?

Comments

  1. Bookmarking this page. I have the complete Captive Prince series but have yet to read them. Also, I've been looking for a good M/M anime so thanks for this! Have you read Check, Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'll look for it now! 😁 The Captive Prince is insane, J. Like one of the best fantasies I've ever read. It's that good. And it's character driven. Please, please, read it!

      Delete
  2. You need to read White Trash Warlock by David R Slayton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on my list! So, it'll be my next listen on audio then 😁 Thanks, Colette!

      Delete
    2. I just finished the audio last week. I thought the narrator did an excellent job giving each character a clear voice . I think you will enjoy it. I am waiting patiently for Trailer Park Trickster.

      Delete
  3. Now I am curious how 30 years of virginity can make you a wizard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you like to know? 😂 it's an urban legend in Japan that if you are still a virgin by your 30th birthday, you'll acquire a mind reading ability if you touch someone and it'll disappear when you have sex. It's super cute tv series! ❤

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts