Urban Fantasy Audiobook Review: Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge by Paul Krueger

 

Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge by Paul Krueger 

bought on audio

Synopsis from Goodreads

A sharp and funny urban fantasy for “new adults” about a secret society of bartenders who fight monsters with alcohol fueled magic.

College grad Bailey Chen has a few demons: no job, no parental support, and a rocky relationship with Zane, the only friend who’s around when she moves back home. But when Zane introduces Bailey to his cadre of monster-fighting bartenders, her demons get a lot more literal. Like, soul-sucking hell-beast literal. Soon, it’s up to Bailey and the ragtag band of magical mixologists to take on whatever—or whoever—is behind the mysterious rash of gruesome deaths in Chicago, and complete the lost recipes of an ancient tome of cocktail lore.

8.5/10

* * *

This was such a quirky gem, I loved it!

There was pure grittiness and simplicity here reminiscent of Harry Dresden world but also the eccentricity of Genevieve Cogman's Librarians.

The super power here standing against the monsters in the dark are bartenders. So, there is a lot of historical reference to drinks and how they were developed and the historical trivia attached to them. I really, really appreciated it and it enriched the story for me immensely. So reminded me of Librarians!

The characters and the plot are condensed and to the point. This is urban fantasy in its purest form.

Bailey Chen just graduated from a university and is struggling to land a job. In the meantime, she works for her school friend as a bar hand until she uncovers the hidden mission behind the bartenders' frequent cigarette breaks and is tempted to join the team.

Being the perfectionist she is, Bailey uncovers an anomaly and a conspiracy and ends up fighting the established order to save her beloved Chicago from a disaster.

I liked the girl, and all the characters around her made me think of Buffy and her crew with their snark and goofiness at the same time.

This was a surprisingly fun listen, and I am looking forward to discovering more from the author, although I'm not sure if this book was a standalone or there is more in the series.

Overall, definitely recommended. Any fan of the genre would enjoy this read/listen.

Comments

  1. OOh nice one! I bought this wayyy back in 2016 and still need to read it myself! I thought it sounded like a fun Urban Fantasy read! Glad to hear it is! Hopefully I will get around to reading this sometime soon! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you will! Cause I know how long it can take us to get to some of the books we buy 😉 It's definitely a good book.

      Delete
  2. I haven¨t tried Dresden to know, but hey one day. And who needs that guy when I could read this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts