Urban Fantasy Review: Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn

Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn (Heroine Complex #1)


bought on kindle

Synopsis from Goodreads
Being a superheroine is hard. Working for one is even harder.

Evie Tanaka is the put-upon personal assistant to Aveda Jupiter, her childhood best friend and San Francisco's most beloved superheroine. She's great at her job—blending into the background, handling her boss's epic diva tantrums, and getting demon blood out of leather pants.

Unfortunately, she's not nearly as together when it comes to running her own life, standing up for herself, or raising her tempestuous teenage sister, Bea.

But everything changes when Evie's forced to pose as her glamorous boss for one night, and her darkest secret comes out: she has powers, too. Now it's up to her to contend with murderous cupcakes, nosy gossip bloggers, and supernatural karaoke battles—all while juggling unexpected romance and Aveda's increasingly outrageous demands. And when a larger threat emerges, Evie must finally take charge and become a superheroine in her own right... or see her city fall to a full-on demonic invasion.



6/10


You know how sometimes you think you should like the book as it has all the markers of what you usually enjoy, but you just don't click. Heroine Complex was such a book for me.

It had snark, brightness, and an underdog of the main character who had a chance to shine. Evie had everything going for her, and I could understand her friend and boss's frustration. Aveda grafted for her role of a superhero, Evie refused to accept her own powers. Aveda had fans, Evie - friends. Aveda had an old crush, Evie - a new hulk of a man falling for her... Gah!

Also, major minus points for the supervillain. She was too comical to take seriously. Overall, it's a fluffy read, but I honestly could take it or leave it. I couldn't connect, and the character choices sometimes were bordering on stupidity (Bea, I'm looking at you).

I wouldn't recommend it, but wouldn't discourage you from reading it too. 

* * *

Знаете, как иногда кажется, что по всем признакам книга должна понравиться, но вот не идёт никак? Комплекс Героини была такой для меня книгой.

Здесь были и стёб и яркость, и неудачница героиня, которой выдался шанс сверкать. У Иви вообще было всё, и я симпатизировала её боссу подруге Аведе в ее раздражении. Аведе надо было пахать, чтобы стать супергероиней, сила Иви не требовала физической тренировки, к тому же она сжигала столько калорий, что ей можно было обжираться и не нарости бока. У Аведы были фанаты, и Иви - друзья. У Аведы - старая влюблённость, у Иви - новый горячий любовник. Короче, Иви мне тяжело было симпатизировать.

Также, главный злодей оказался комически ничтожным, и принимать его всерьёз было невозможно. Такая лёгкая книжка, читала  её я просто, чтобы упёрто дочитать. И вообще выборы многих героев здесь иногда граничили с придурковатостью (я смотрю на тебя, Беа!)...

Короче, не то, чтобы не рекомендую, но и не то, чтобы рекомендую. 

Comments

  1. I think I've been reading way too many of these books lately where I think I should like it and then it just doesn't click. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'vee been DNFing quite a lot this year. But I think I had to learn to be ruthless after my two year long reading slump. If something doesn't go, don't push it. ❤ hugs back! 😘

      Delete
  2. It drives me nuts when superheroes are reluctant about their superpowers. Like, come on! Think of all the good things you can do. And while the villain didn't float your boat, not gonna lie, I'm a fan of comical villains. Lol. It might be worth reading this one just for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I'll be happy to contribute as disliking books makes me feel guilty! 🤪

      Delete
  3. Yeah I remember reading it but not the story and I think I wasn't impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts