YA Urban Fantasy Series Review: Talon Saga (2-5) by Julie Kagawa


Talon Saga (books #2-5) by Julie Kagawa


listened through Audible Plus

Synopsis from Goodreads
The series revolves around dragons with the ability to disguise themselves as humans and an order of warriors sworn to eradicate them. The dragons of TALON and the Order of St. George have been at war with each other for centuries. The fabled creatures, whose existence is unknown by the general public, are determined to rule the world. Their foes, a legendary society of dragon slayers, are equally bent on driving the fabled beasts into extinction. However, when a young dragon and a hardened slayer unknowingly befriend each other, it has severe repercussions for both organizations.


8/10


I've already reviewed Talon, the first book in this series, peeps, and it was good. Overall, this is a solid four star listen, and as it's free on Audible with Plus Catalogue, it's a great find!

There is a really easy, fun flow with these books, and great narrators. You know where everything goes and it's simplistic, but the scenery is bright and atmospheric, and no one is reaching too-stupid-to-live heights quite yet (yes, I know, my standards for YA are low). Likeable characters, even the meanest ones.

Actually, it reminded me of the Predator franchise. Do you remember the cheesiness of one-liners? But also its extreme watch-ability? There is something similar to these books. Over-the-top characters, crazy plot twists you can totally see coming, but I swear, it works! Both Riley and Garrett are likable, and Ember is a great driving force behind them.

So, yes, go listen, have fun, folks.




* * *

Я уже рецензировала Талон, первую книгу серии, и она была хорошей. Вообще, вся серия на твердую четверку. К тому же, она бесплатна вместе с Плюс Каталогом на Аудибл, так что, кто в нем, идите слушать!

Очень легко эти книжки слушаются, рассказчики прекрасные. Все понятно, рудиментарно, но как то ярко и атмосферно, и никто своей глупостью не раздражает (да, я знаю, что мои стандарты в подростковом фикшне низки). Характеры нравятся, даже в самых больших негодяях есть искорка.

Вообще, мне эта сага напомнила по духу франшизу Хищника. Вы помните глупые, краткие, стебные цитаты и в то же время зрелищность этих фильмов? Чрезмерные характеры, сумасшедшие повороты сюжета, которые видно за милю? Но, клянусь, они работают! И Райли и Гарретт  - оба милашки, а Эмбер ими рулит.

Короче, весело, ребята, я рекомендую.


Comments

  1. I sense your enthusiasm for the series. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review. I've enjoyed other series by her and should add this series to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so long since I haven't read a book by this author and I don't thing I tried this series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, you definitely know what you are going to get with Kagawa 😁

      Delete
  4. I'll have to give this series a try now that I'm doing better with audiobooks.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it, Karen! It's entertaining, and it's a finished series. No need to wait.

      Delete
  5. I am sure I have seen it at the library, the first that is, but I am unsure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Talon on my TBR for ages, I loved her Immortal Rules series but felt a bit meh about the Iron Fey (and didn't finish those) so I've been in two minds about starting this one. Maybe when I'm stuck for an audio listen I can give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly, I have fallen way behind with Kagawa's books. I think she burned me with her vampire series. But let there be dragons!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts