Advance Reader Copy Urban Fantasy Review: Smolder by Laurell K.Hamilton

 

Smolder by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake #29)

 *Review copy obtained through Netgalley*

The wedding of the century between vampire hunter Anita Blake and the vampire king of America Jean-Claude is almost here, but an ancient evil arrives in St. Louis and even Jean-Claude’s unmatched power isn’t enough to save them. Only with the return of a lost love can they hope to combat the monster and save their loved ones and every vampire in the country from being consumed by darkness.

Release date March 21, 2023

2/10

* * *

Okey, first hear me out before judging my 1-star review.


First of all, I am a very old fan of this series and I firmly believe that the quality only went downhill after Obsidian Butterfly. But. Since then, I've fully embraced the fact that the b-movie type of quality of Anita's reverse harem world is its own brand. People can love it or hate it but they still read it and get exactly what they expect from it.


Which is why my 1-star rating is fully good-natured. Yes, it was that terrible and yes, I rolled my eyes and enjoyed the predictability of the plot when 90% of action is a big, unending therapy session for Anita and her big bad puppy pile of lovers, and only 10% is an actual advancement of the plot. I read this while being stuck on a long flight and despite not having read the last 4 or 5 books in the series, I have not missed a thing, my dear readers. 


*SPOILER*


Richard is back! And it actually made me feel much livelier. I miss the time when Anita only had him and Jean-Claude to worry about and you didn't need the spreadsheet for the rest of her partners.  Ah, those were the days.... Anyway, get ready for a lot of talking, where the most amusing part of it is talking about feelings while you are in the middle of an emergency sex to ward off an attack (yes, non-fans, I know how it sounds!) and Jean-Claude already asked you a few times to stop yapping and just concentrate on getting bonked.


There is not much else going on, but the ending shows that at least a few chapters of the next book will be fun, cause Anita's family is here for the wedding. And there is a high chance I'll read it just for the hell of it.


Enjoy it or hate it at your own risk, but you have been warned.

Comments

  1. I can't believe this series is still going at 29 books! I think Obsidian Butterfly was where I bailed on the series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I used to naively hope that the series would get back to its roots as urban fantasy but it just never did. It's more of a light paranormal romance and not a good one at that these days.

      Delete
  2. Nope. To be honest I haven't tried any of the books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts